Recently I bid farewell to Sydney and moved to rival city Melbourne for work. I thought that a change of scene would be just what the doctor ordered, and more excellent adventures would be in the offing.
On parting I realised I have written little about the city I called home for almost eight years. Aside from the iconic images and guidebook blurbs, these are the things that nobody tells you about Sydney:
- Summer is awesome.
- Every time you see the opera house it still wows you.
- Locals are scared of rain; nobody seems to venture out in case they dissolve. It’s true!!
- The council makes up any reason for fireworks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many in my life. There’s a reason Australia has no ozone layer folks!
- You can see dolphins on your way to work, that’s if you take the ferry. Nothing starts your day like seeing a dolphin.
- Suburb snobs are rife. Like who cares? You live in Sydney – enjoy!
- Just because Sydney is a sizeable city doesn’t mean that the scary killer animals daren’t venture in. Those Huntsmen spiders are beasties!
- And did I say summer is awesome????